Tech for "Sweet Charity": A "Musical Snake Pit?"

“Boy, am I sick of this musical snake pit!”
-Charity Hope Valentine, “Sweet Charity”


Well friends, it is tech week. The time when musical theatre majors walk around like zombies with day-old mascara enhancing our dark under-eye circles, attempt to pick off the sticky goop on the back of our necks leftover from mic tape throughout the day, and basically move into the dressing rooms, seeing more of the mirror and stage lights than the sun light for at least five days. To the non-theatre person, what I just described might sound terrifying; like we throw ourselves into a musical snake pit and attempt to make our struggle look pretty for the audience. I’ll admit, tech week and show weekend is a little bit like that sometimes. Backstage can look like a warzone sometimes: dodging set pieces while running to your next entrance and simultaneously ripping off your costume and becoming an entirely new character all in the span of 45 seconds. But that’s what tech week is for; learning how to maneuver the “musical snake pit” in the safest, most efficient way possible. In the end, everyone is working towards the same goal, to make everything go smoothly backstage so the actors and technicians can do their jobs to the best of the their ability to create a show on stage we are proud of.
Right now I am absorbed with tech for “Sweet Charity” the ONU Theatre Arts Department’s spring musical. Yesterday we had our first dress rehearsal, and I will be honest and admit it was not a good rehearsal for me personally. Overall it was a successful first dress, but I was having some individual struggles. I underestimated the amount of time I would need to properly warm up, get ready, and go over my scene and costume changes so I could start the run ready to go. With ten minutes until the start of the show, I had not warmed up, reviewed any of my changes, gotten dressed yet, or finished my hair and makeup and I completely panicked. I ended up having the worst anxiety attack I’ve ever had, and though somehow I was able to get ready enough to do the show, my mind and body stayed in that state of panic the whole run. I had never had a rehearsal so stressful in all my years of theatre and it made me extremely disappointed in myself and worried since we only have two more rehearsals left until opening night.
Finally after talking to my friends and going to sleep I was able to calm down. Today, there is still a little part of me that is worried and frustrated about how I was last night, but today I am determined to give myself enough time to do everything I need to have my best run yet. Yesterday was just one day. If there isn’t a semi-disastrous rehearsal during tech week, that’s honestly more worrisome. You have to get the bumps out; yesterday was just one very large bump for me, but today I get a second chance! Truly, I am so excited for this show, and I have a good feeling now its only going to improve.

Now that you’ve heard firsthand about the blood, sweat and tears which go in to live theatre, maybe you’ll have a new perspective when you come see “Sweet Charity” this weekend on the Freed Center Mainstage! (see what I did there?) The musical comedy set in the 1960s follows the adventures of Charity Hope Valentine, a beautifully optimistic girl who is a hopeless romantic, but also happens to be a dance hall hostess in the not-so-pretty part of New York City. It is a show so full of life, with lots of dancing inspired by the original choreographer, Bob Fosse, and tons of laughter with the book written by Neil Simon. It lights up the stage this weekend, April 19, 20 & 21 at 7:30pm and April 21 & 22 at 2pm at the Freed Center for the Performing Arts. Student tickets are just $5! I promise by the time we get to opening night, it won’t be a musical snake pit.
Also, if you want even more of an inside scoop, follow the Freed Center's instagram! We are posting a bunch of behind the scenes moments on our instagram stories. Just search: freedcenter!

Comments

  1. I feel you (Johanna). Yesterday I cried because I had no idea how to accomplish the scene/costume changes we have and having to move a set piece and change costumes and then bringing a chair onstage and waiting to move another set piece while in the background and having my frug vest and Manfred costume change set on stage left in the matter of like a minute was something that simply didn't happen and Colleen had to calm me down, but we survived! I borrowed a track list template from Audrey and filled it out for my responsibilities and I feel as if I will be more successful because of it. Yay for organization, tech week and planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie,

    The tech week and rehearsal process may have been a trying time for you, but as someone who was in the audience twice I can say it was fantastic. All of the hard work that you and the cast put in over the last few weeks was definitely reflected in the quality of the show. I know that going through tech week and its tortures like cue to cue is always rough, but you cannot argue with the results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Sweet Charity" Social Media

Social Media Manager for an A Cappella Group

Is Instagram "Fake?"