Riding Solo Road Trips

When I was first beginning to drive, I refused to go on the highway because it stressed me out too much. Now I drive up to 8 hours on the highway every other weekend. Between my family living in Pennsylvania, my best friend living in Dayton, Ohio, my grandparents living outside of Columbus and traveling all over the midwest for audition season, I’ve been doing a lot of driving recently.
            As an inexperienced driver, I was very anxious whenever I was on the road. I was still in high school and I lived in the suburbs so there wasn’t a need for me to use the highway. Once I got to college and my family moved to Pennsylvania though, I realized I needed to get comfortable driving long distances on the highway. I started off slow, breaking up the hours, staying in the right lane, using very detailed directions and taking country road highways instead of multiple lane highways any chance I could. I can’t say driving still doesn’t make me anxious, it probably always will, but I am much more comfortable with it now.
            For the past three years I’ve had to take a lot of solo road trips. Since coming to college, my family moved and my best friends remained in my hometown, so on breaks I split my time. I take a few days to spend in Ohio with my friends and then drive home to spend the rest with my family. There are also quite a few weekends in the year where I go visit my friends or my family because someone has a birthday, a concert, or a special event. This can amount to a lot of driving packed into a few days. Luckily, if I ever need a pit stop, my grandparents live outside of Columbus, which happens to be almost exactly in the middle of my trips between ONU and home, and my friends and home. Most of my trips I’m alone, which can be difficult when driving long distances. It can make the drive seem longer and you don’t have someone to help you with directions or keep your energy up. Having to handle car problems by yourself can be extra stressful as well. But even though driving with friends is much more fun, I think all the road trips I’ve had to take by myself have been good for me.
Sometimes road trips can give you
awesome views like this to look at
for miles!
First and foremost, having to be a safe, alert driver for multiple hours in a row takes constant awareness and discipline. Especially being an anxious driver, I constantly have to be aware of what I’m doing, which can be exhausting but its an important skill. Second, I have a greater awareness for what’s happening with my car. After multiple flat tires and breakdowns from transmission and battery problems, along with the “weird sounds” that come with older vehicles, I’ve been through a lot with my car. Because of this, and the many phone calls I’ve had to make from the side of the road, I’d say I’ve gained some wisdom. I’ve had to get used to feeling out and driving different cars while my own is getting repaired, and I am more thorough and sensitive when it comes to taking care of my car. Lastly, I’ve learned to make the most of the alone time I get in the car. Sometimes after a fun-filled weekend with my friends, or an exhausting week at school I actually enjoy a quiet drive home or back to school. It can help me refocus, give me time to reflect and build up positive thoughts about the day to come. Sometimes I don’t even listen to music and I just breathe and listen to the road. As boring as that sounds, often times my thoughts are loud enough and somehow amidst the anxiety that comes with traveling for me, the silence can be relaxing.

This past weekend I drove home for and audition and some family time, the weekend before I drove to an audition with friends, and next weekend I’ll be traveling all over the place for more auditions and spring break fun. What is your favorite way to entertain yourself or unwind during a road trip? Comment below!

Comments

  1. I can completely relate to this. I am an all-around anxious person and it had taken me so long to build up the nerve to start driving. I am still slightly uneasy when having to drive. I don't think this is a bad thing. Being fully aware of what's happening around us makes us more cautious drivers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie,

    You're definitely not alone when it comes to being anxious on major highways. I have been behind the wheel for about six years (five of those being legally), and even now there are things that make me jittery on highway drives. I also relate to the long drives you have to do. My family is in Pennsylvania as well, and that is a long drive to do by yourself on multiple occasions. However, it sounds like that experience has given you a lot of knowledge and independence that you can't really learn anywhere else. In my opinion, independence and learning are part of what can make driving fun no matter where you're going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Sweet Charity" Social Media

Social Media Manager for an A Cappella Group

Is Instagram "Fake?"