Social Media is like a Party or a Fundraiser?

We have moved on to a new book in my social media principles class: “Social Media Marketing Workbook” by Jason McDonald. This book focuses on step-by-step ways to best use different social media platforms. Because it’s a “workbook” there are online worksheets and activity ideas to help the reader practice the tips in the book.
            In the first chapter, the author insists that managing your social media is like planning and throwing a party. He draws parallels between the key elements of establishing a party and establishing a strong social media presence. You need to invite guests to your party by various methods. Similarly, you must promote your social media and your business on social media to gain followers, listeners, supporters or customers. There has to be entertainment at a party to get people to stay, come back or want to share they had a good time. You have to hone your content on social media to do the same for your brand or business to attract and keep your audience. During the party you have to be a good host, check in on your guests, your entertainment, making sure everything is running smoothly. Social media requires that same dedication to manage it adequately.  
            Reading this at first, the idea made sense to me, but the over-arching theme of parties made me worried. I don’t have any more experience party-throwing than I have with social media. I wasn’t sure I could relate. Then I began to think about the concept of parties in a different way: Fundraisers! I’ve had to learn a lot about fundraisers, having an arts administration minor. We focus in most classes on learning how to manage a non-profit organization and a life-source of non-profits is fundraisers. I’ve planned fundraisers for projects, helped out with the Out of the Darkness Walk on campus for two years and I’m involved in two fraternities that require me to participate and help brainstorm for fundraisers.
            This little shift of thinking helped me relate more directly to the author’s analogy. For a fundraiser you have to spread the word in various ways, deciding which methods are the best to reach your target audience; what will entice people to come while properly representing what your event is about? You must provide some incentive for people to go and stay at the fundraiser; will there be food, games, music? There are always people required to run a fundraiser, most of the time volunteers who make sure everything is going smoothly.

            My arts administration minor is what first attracted me to this class, and being able to connect my previous knowledge to what I’m currently learning makes me feel like I’m doing my job as a student right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sweet Charity" Social Media

Social Media Manager for an A Cappella Group

Is Instagram "Fake?"